[plug] Newby with SUSE 6.2 on a P100/16Meg

James Tan shishio at dingoblue.net.au
Sat Jul 29 12:11:16 WST 2000

Hello comrades,

I have to say, I've done a little fiddling around with Debian/RH4.? some time ago
out of curiousity on my lowly 386s and 486s and now I've purchased [on a sale at Carousel] a copy of SUSE 6.2 [probably a little dated by now] just to see how
it runs [after all I've heard quite a bit about the performance of Linux on leaner
PCs] on my P100 with 16Megs RAM.  I'm aware that Linux itself is fast but the
GUI is a resource hog so I'm probably gonna get my fingers dirty to get to learn
some Linux. I have two beefier PCs running windoze 2k and 98 and since I'm don't want to mess up my HDs I'd better install SUSE on a separate machine just in case something could go wrong.  Could someone tell me whether this P100 with
16Megs RAM is enuff for GUI/X stuff without significant HD thrashing in the virtual
memory ?  I want to start getting into Linux with mininal risk.

Thanks in advance.

James