[plug] sound card

Oliver White ojw at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 1 06:03:39 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Oliver wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I've got that compiled into my kernel now. xmms seems to be having problems,
> > but perhaps they're unrelated. What's a good way to check if the sound card is
> > installed?
>
> dmesg

Doesn't say anything about a sound card, but I get this:

PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 39, VID=1022, DID=7409
PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe400-0xe407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe408-0xe40f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

> or
>
> cat /dev/sndstat

narf:~# cat /dev/sndstat
cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

*hurumph*

> Also, you may wish to try the ALSA drivers
>
> www.alsa-project.org

Hmm, worth trying do you think? I wonder what I'm doing wrong...

--
Oliver White