[plug] sound card

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 1 10:13:21 WST 2000

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 12:32:56AM +0000, Oliver White wrote:
> Matt Kemner wrote:
> > You sure this card is ES137x based?
> >
> > Creative also make a PCI 128 card based around a ct4700 chip.
> > I don't know if that one is supported at all under linux.
> >
> > What chips are (physically) on the card?
>
> I have no idea what chips are on it. All I know is that someone said the Vibra
> 128 card worked with that driver.

I think he was meaning "open it up and have a look".

A lot of cards these days come down to a big fat chip or two in the middle of
the board and a few assorted passive components. The chip manufacturer often
makes a "reference design" that's copied slavishly and marketed under seven
different brandnames, and the same driver often handles several. More
irritatingly, sometimes the board is changed completely and then marketed
under the _same_ name, sounds like that's the case here.

I've got a PCI 64/ES1370 card in my home machine - I was using ALSA, but I'm
currently trying the one in the kernel (not OSS/Free, but it uses the same
interface). (It's working nicely, but I miss the traditional /dev/audio...)

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal