[plug] Attacking spoofers

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 1 16:46:05 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:

> Peter Wright wrote:
> > Personally I'd find it quite satisfying to hunt down a cracker and
> > beat the crap out of them, but considering (a) the long odds against
> > someone bothering to crack into my pissant dialup system, and
>
> You'd be amazed, I'm sure, to find out just what they do bother to
> crack. For example, if a 133t-5(r1pt-k1|)|)13 with a set of shiny new
> RedHat-specific toys to hand happened to portscan you and see a telnet
> prompt (and you'll be scanned about every hundred hours on-line, at
> current rates, and steadily increasing), they might dally long enough to
> do some serious damage.

Is that "every hundred hours online", applicable to just "permanent
connections", or, also, to dialup connections, on an ad-hoc basis?

What is the thing with the "set of shiny new RedHat-specific toys", that
is specified above? It sounds like some USA nuclear warhead, kind of
thing, from the specification. It's not a minuteman missile, aimed at
Perth, is it?

--

Bret Busby