[plug] Compiling a driver

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 2 15:45:41 WST 2000

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 03:28:45PM +0800, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:
> Peter / List,
>
> 1. The file is called 109diff
> 2. Copied the file to a spare 6.2 box, installed with everything
> 3. As root : gcc -f 109diff       ---> the following results:
>
> 		/usr/bin/ld:109diff:1: file format not recognised:
> treating as linear script
> 		/usr/bin/ld:109diff:1: parse error
> 		collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Aha.

> No idea what it means!

Yes.

> Any pointers please?

It's not a C file. It's almost certainly a diff file, for which you
use the patch(1) command to apply to a source tree.

Really, the place you got it from should have instructions on how to
use it, but if you're sure it doesn't...

If you actually read the file with an editor, you should get some
clues as to what it should be applied to. Try mailing the first twenty
or so lines of the file here, and I and/or others will have a guess.

Odds are it's probably a direct patch to the linux kernel source tree.
Which means it's probably going to be a bastard to install if it's
intended for a 2.2.12 kernel tree.

> Thanks

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it while
    you are pretending to catch your breath.