[plug] Install of new RH6 fails

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Tue Jun 6 11:32:38 WST 2000

List,

Still having problems installing Linux RH6 on this box with a DPT Raid
controller. The h/w raid is established through the card BIOS. I have a
driver from DPT compiled for RH6.0

Installed RH6.0 with the driver, created the partitions I wanted.
Formatted all partions including the sda ones. Installed 'everything'
(intend to remove the unwanted when all up and running), no errors
reported.

Reboot. ---ERRORS---

1. Fails to recognise sda(reports block-major-8 missing)
2. cd /home - can create stuff OK, /etc/fstab indicates /home on
/dev/sda1
3. Went to check the rpm's to try and find item 1 - reports
/usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc missing. When checked /usr there is nothing in there

I really am not sure what to do now. The install appears to have failed
somewhere. But where I don't know?

I did try an install just to /dev/hda then move the /home and
/var/spool/squid etc to /dev/sda1 but my lack of knowledge prevented me
from adding extra devices.

I am really stuck. Any pointers appreciated.

TIA,

----
Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header
Computer Systems    | you cain't get that Ping...." | Tel: +61 8 9256
1099
  Support           |    Duke Ellington, 1932       | Fax: +61 8 9256
1199
----
Union Switch & Signal, 24 Bannick Court, Canning Vale, WA 6155,
Australia