[plug] Dial-up server

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 7 09:59:42 WST 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Swank wrote:

> I am trying to use PAP and yes,

"logged in" implies username & password have been given, doesnt it? Then
why need PAP?   I havent used AutoPPP, but isnt it part of mgetty?
Once you are logged in, mgetty is no longer running, so it would be too
late for AutoPPP. They are mutually exclusive, no?

> I am trying to start with ppd -detach

Manually or by AutoPPP ?  Can you post a cut&paste from the scripts or
login window please.

> Problem is, from a Windows machine, the user can dial-into the server, and
> with the terminal screen they can log in and ping and traceroute, but,

OK, so you are manually logging in. Do you then type "pppd -detach"?

> Windows itself is still saying "Authenticating user" as if it's still trying
> to authenticate.....when the terminal screen is working and logged in. After
> about 30 seconds the connection is dropped and that's it.

Thats the timeout. If you want a terminal session, use hyperterm or
similar.

> I would like to know how I can get the windows machine to log on using the
> username and password provided in the orignal dial-up screen.
> If I try log in from the original dial-up screen (where it asks for phone
> number and all that), on the server typing  tail -f /var/log/messages shows
> user "/AutoPPP/" trying to log in, and since that user does not exist it
> doesn't authenticate.

Something doesnt make sense here. What is your exact procedure?

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--