[plug] Award Bios flash upgrade

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Jun 7 13:38:09 WST 2000

G'day,

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 01:10:13PM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Tamara Thompson wrote:
>
> > Care to expound on that dire possibility?
>
> If the bios ends up _really_ screwed, become friendly with someone with an
> EEPROM programmer, they may be able to reprogram your BIOS chip for you.
>
> Another option, which I have seen done, but definitely do not recommend to
> anyone, is finding someone with an identical motherboard, and swapping
> your dead BIOS chip into his motherboard after he's booted off his BIOS
> chip (while it's running) and reprogram.

I've had to do that once. A while back on an on intel HX motherboard I killed
the bios cause it got "stuck" half-way through programming - aghh. The "boot
from floppy to recover" method didn't work and in the end I had to get another
indentical motherboard. I used the new (good) bios to boot, then ripped it out
while the system was running, and inserted the broken one. I then ran the
bios update program again (and it worked) so I had 2 fully functioning
motherboards.

I made use of the other motherboard so it wasn't a waste.

Later,

Jason Nicholls