[plug] Shell query...

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 8 12:55:22 WST 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 12:04:09PM +0800, Peter Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Small shell-related query....
[ snip ]

Of course, I eventually found "a" solution to my problem with a bit of
that drastic alternative, reading the manual...

(the manual in this case being the zsh man page)

Apparently |& has the handy effect of piping both STDERR and STDOUT
into STDOUT - so after a bit of effort, I could grep out the stderr
stuff I didn't want to see (thankfully all the stderr stuff had an
identifying regular expression I could use to grep it out).

Would have been nicer to be able to just send stderr straight to
nowhere, but this'll do fine for now.

Amazing the stuff you can find out through reading the manual. :)

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

64. The remote to the T.V. is missing...and you don't even care.