[plug] Netmeeting

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 9 00:48:48 WST 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 10:48:31PM -0700, Emerge wrote:
> Well for somebody who thinks I'm incoherent and illiterate

I said "I don't know if you're really illiterate or just
incoherent[*], but you're sounding that way ;-)". The smiley should
have clued you in to the fact that I was writing in a light-hearted
tone, but if not, the footnote damn well should have.

> you seem to have deciphered the message pretty well.

Not well enough to help, which was the point.

> Microsoft NetMeeting has been around for as long time obviously
> longer than you if your going to be a smart arse don't bother
> answering the question .

I didn't answer the question. I tried to get you to supply more detail
in an effort to help.

> I would have thought that the people in this group would get  a
> little sick of highly detailed questions when it must be quite
> obvious to all that there are very few ways of providing such a
> service to other computers in a local area network i.e
> IP-masquerading

Such a service? You didn't say what services you were providing.

> I am a new user of Linux and have placed many question with this
> group and nobody has had reason to complain or insult me regarding
> the clarity of the questions.

I wasn't insulting you. I was criticising your query, and intending it
in a constructive and helpful fashion. Apparently you didn't see it
that way.

If you want to see insulting, there are a lot of better places to go.
Try Usenet. :)

> I am 44 years old and have been into (Oh sorry programming, using
> ,playing with ) computers for 25 years and have probably forgot more
> than you will ever know like the good old days of  code like  6502
> assembler and so on I suppose you never heard of that either .

*roll of eyes* Yes, I have. However, hearing of, or even knowing
about, arbitrary details of computer history are not relevant here.

Nor is knowing about arbitrary software packages. I said I didn't know
what Netmeeting was, I just made an (apparently close to accurate)
guess from the name and the reference you made to using it.

> I develop database systems that provide me with a reasonable income.
> I own and run a mechanical workshop and I own run a drilling company
> here in the goldfields how much do you make.

None of your business, and of course irrelevant.

> I don't care if you don't mean to be nasty but let me tell you Mate
> I'm pissed Yar smart arse prick.

*shrug* Your problem then.

> Linux is not the only system on the planet.

Again, don't know why you're saying this.... but it is, however, the
primary topic of this mailing list (and the user group on which it is
based) to which you posted to for help.

> Im sorry the rest of the group has to see this message it is
> directed at Peter Wright only.

*sigh*

Even in Outlook it's not too hard to change the To: field, it it?

> Regards Bob Andrews.
> P.S anybody can use a spell checker.

Yes, anybody can. So what? A spell checker wouldn't have helped your
last message gain any clarity or readability - you need to do that
yourself.

Look Bob, my last mail was not intended to do any more than just make
you realise that your first email didn't cast you in a very favourable
light and didn't have enough detail (for me at least) to have a
reasonable stab at suggesting a solution (others on this list more
knowledgeable than I, and there are many, may well be able to). On a
mailing list, people judge others by their words and sometimes it's
easy to make mistakes.

In that frame of mind, I sincerely apologise for making insinuations
about your literacy and thus offending you.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

78. You find yourself dialing IP numbers on the phone.