[plug] RH6.2 Kernel problem

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Jun 9 10:25:31 WST 2000

>David Griffiths wrote:
>

>> A handy thing to do here is - after doing your "make mrproper" and "make
>> xconfig"
>> edit the Makefile EXTRAVERSION line to include your own unique identifier.
>> eg change
>>         EXTRAVERSION = -15
>>         EXTRAVERSION = -15_SH1
>> where SH stands for Stephen Humble (or whatever).
>
>Are you sure there is nothing else to change here.
>We had a problem reported recently on this exact topic.

Can't think of anything that wasn't mentioned in the original post.
Certainly nothing else needs changing in the Makefile.

Just need to be careful with the naming of all the bits to make sure they
are consistent with the new kernel "version", eg all the bits that go into
/boot
   kernel,
   System.map-xxx if you want one,
   initrd-xxx if you need one (may not have mentioned this originally),
also
   your lilo.conf (need to rerun lilo of course),
   and the modules directory name (should be done automatically anyway with
   make modules_install).

I suspect that a make install would take care of most of this for you
(probably not the initrd, and not the lilo parts of course) but I prefer to
step through the various make steps individually.

Haven't tried this on any system other than Red Hat 6.2, but haven't
experienced any problems with doing this to date with that release over
quite a few compile/install cycles.

Dave.

PS sorry for the late response - for some reason you message didn't get
through to me until today (Frid).

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia