[plug] Finding RPM Summary

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Jun 9 18:09:58 WST 2000

"Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback with regard to finding a file within an
> uninstalled RPM. The biggest hurdle I faced was knowing which complete
> path I was looking for as (on my box) I could not get any wildcards to
> work i.e. *patch, so I needed to know the absolute path.

I know you've sorted this out, but for future reference:

A search on Google for:
rpm bin/patch
would almost certainly have got you close to the info you wanted - could
be useful when you don't have the RPMs handy to list and grep (it's a
fair bet programs like patch will be in some or other "bin" directory).
Searching for
rpm sbin/<prog_name>
is another possibility for sysadmin-type commands, of course.

Colin