locate, wasRe: [plug] Which RPM?

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Sat Jun 10 09:35:57 WST 2000

Steve Grasso wrote:
> Not updated nightly unless /usr/bin/updatedb is in a cron entry
> (at least it's not by default in my Debian slink or Mandrake 7
> systems).

Strange... all my Debian systems have a default cron job (one slink, one
potato, one woody).  You should be able to find it as
/etc/cron.daily/find -- if not, add the findutils package (available at
a Debian mirror near you  :)

> Unmount any file systems you DON'T want indexed first though
> (perhaps a mounted CD, or Win partition).

A better way of doing this is to use updatedb's --prunepaths option.  It
will let you specify a number of paths not to index (very handy, as you
indicated).  Check the man page for details.

	Leon