[plug] [Fwd: Re: David Conran's talk]

Millers millers at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Jun 11 05:28:18 WST 2000

Question I have is how does one detect if the network has been comprised?  I
check logs on a daily basis, but exactly what am I supposed to be looking
for?  Currently, I have seen certain spam attacks (eg undeliverable e-mail
from and to sites I know no one on the local lan uses), this I've seen with
relaying off.  All the Linux boxes I support have a virusscan application
that has control of the relays, so I've turned them off and only allow
certain networks through.  But other than that I have no way of telling what
else has attacked the sites. Any tools out there that can detect attacks of
different nature?

JLM