[plug] Re: Let's patent antigravity just in case it happens!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Jun 12 12:14:15 WST 2000

Peter Wright wrote:
>> It has to be so - the point of patents is (supposedly) to protect
>> someone's investment in the *development* of an idea. If you grant the
>> patent only after the development is done, they have no guarantee of the
>> patent while spending vast quantities of money deveoping it (think of
>> one-click ordering  - that would surely take at least, ummm ... one day
>> to implement from the time you first had the idea). So the idea is first
>> patented, then developed/implemented.

> This is a bit of a risky notion - I wonder how many patents are on the
> record, but are literally not possible (at least using current
> technology) to implement?

Hey, let's patent all forms of antigravity with a variety of
load-of-hogwash processes to make it happen, just in case someone makes
it work. Surely, their method will resemble one of ours to some degree!
And why not? Microsoft do similar things...

> 93. New mail alarm on your palmtop annoys other churchgoers.

Better change it from "Fanfare for the common man" then...

--
If at first you don't succeed, try a shorter bungee.