[plug] Samba won't start

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Mon Jun 12 16:12:35 WST 2000

>Over the weekend, I did a rebuild of my RH kernel to cull some
>unneeded bits.  It all compiled fine and built the kernel, which I
>duly installed and set up in LILO and so forth.

 /sbin/chkconfig --list smb

will show whether it's configured to start at boot time.

  /sbin/chkconfig smb on

should set up the appropriate links (as mentioned by Mike) for you in the
/etc/rc.d/rc.* dirs if it's not. There are utilities shipped with most
linuces such ntsysv (ships with Red Hat) that wrap these commands in gui's.

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia