[plug] What happened to Samba?

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Mon Jun 12 09:17:07 WST 2000

I did a recompile of my RedHat kernel last night to kill off a few
million unnecessary things (AppleTalk, Sound, ...)  did everything
(more or less) right, had a running system when I restarted except...

Samba didn't start.  Looking through the logs reveals no trace of
Samba even attempting to start.  I have my network running, I just
need to manually restart Samba when I reboot the machine.  Granted, I
don't do that often, but...

What I did was to configure the kernel (as everyone does), with
make xconfig, then
make dep; make clean
make bzImage
mv /lib/modules/2... /lib/modules/2...old
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

edit /etc/lilo.conf