[plug] RedHat upgrading...

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 17:47:20 WST 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 05:19:57PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > Now I want to upgrade this machine from 6.0 to 6.2 - however, my
> > understanding was that the normal way of doing this is to reboot
> > from the CD or a floppy as per the normal installation process,
> > then select Upgrade instead of Install on the initial screen.
>
> Gotta love Debian :p)
>
> mount /cdrom
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> umount /cdrom

I know, I know. Any surprise I run Debian on all my Linux machines at
home, and my workstation here at work? Once you've got it installed,
despite its other flaws and limitations, Debian leaves most other
distros well behind for that one simple reason - it's just soooo
wonderfully easy to install new packages and keep things up to date.

It's the other Linux fans in this place that for one reason or another
use RedHat. Most of the time, I have no problem with it, in fact I
quite like it in many ways. Hell, it's still Linux :). But when it
comes to keeping a system up-to-date, Debian (and thus Debian
descendants like Corel and Storm) are way ahead of Redhat (and thus
Redhat descendants like... far too many to list ;-).

I often wonder if any of the movers and shakers at Redhat have ever
considered designing a complete rewrite/replacement for the RPM
package format which would enable it to be used in the same way that
Debian packages are with apt-get, etc. Hell, I'm sure it'd be possible
to even improve on the Debian packaging system with a bit of effort.

> Brad....

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

98. The Alta Vista administrators ask you what sites are missing
    in their index files.