[plug] Permissions ... I am doing something basic incorrectly?

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jun 14 08:42:32 WST 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:

> I have a directory structure as such:
>
> drwxrwxr-x	root	root	.
> drwxrwxr-x	root	root	..
> -rwxrwxr-x	km	of_a	purchasing.xls
>
> The of_a group contains km and sg.
>
> When sg opens the file, makes modifications and saves it he becomes the
> owner and for some reason km can not open it. I am baffled. What am I
> doing wrong?

What are the permissions on the file AFTER "sg" has modified it.

If I were you I'd set the setgid bit on the directory after changing it to
of_a.  This will mean that all files in that directory will always (well
mostly) be in the group of_a.  This can be done with

chgrp of_a .
chmod g+s .

I'd also check the umask of each user.

Also as the file is an xls I'm guessing that you're accessing it via samba.
in which case you should read the samba docs on
create mode and group definitions.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein