[plug] School proxy/monitoring saga

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 10:38:00 WST 2000

Hi all,

Below is part of an email I received from the very nice Ms Anna Hu
(some of you who wrote back to her directly may have received
something similar, I just thought I'd pass it on for those who
didn't):

> Thanks for the info I have passed on the info to the 2 technicians
> they are setting it up we are using Linux rather than our now
> microsoft proxy because our firewall is having probs with realaudia
> and netmeeting and i know it is free, I suggested propriety not
> necessarily to pay for but we did not want a "backyard" monitoring
> program because we have 400 computers using the proxy and yes
> because i would like support

That at least clarifies her intented use of the word "proprietary". :)

I was just intrigued that the MS proxy they're using at the moment has
problems with Real Audio and the infamous (hi Bob :) Microsoft
Netmeeting too. I did have a quick look at the links posted by the two
who responded to Bob's email about NM, but can't remember if there was
in fact a complete solution available - I had the feeling that there
were some limitations to the solution provided.

Anyone know for sure if NetMeeting _can_ be run through a proxy (of
any sort)? I'm curious as to whether there's any special problem with
RealAudio either - I can't remember the last time I used RealAudio,
but I think it was with a direct connection that time, not through an
IPMasq proxy. Anyone successfully used RealAudio through an IPMasq
(okay, or NAT, Christian :) proxy?

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.