[plug] School proxy/monitoring saga

niall niall at holbytla.org
Fri Jun 16 13:51:39 WST 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> Noble thoughts.  Could be a good way to build up some degree of dependance
> of schools etc for Linux support.

I don't want to create dependencies - Linux is an alternative, so we should
make it an attractive one.  If I setup a machine for a client, the client
should have complete choice in who looks after that machine - myself or
another consultant, or their own people when they have the knowledge.  Of
course I'd love them to use and trust me, but the benefits of an open market
far outweigh any shortterm personal gain that any of us could undoubtedly
make.

It will then be up to us to make our services attractive - easier to use
systems, cheap, fast and knowledgable support...  I'd rather my clients
*want* to give me money than be forced to.

As an aside, once Linux is in use in business and schools, I'm sure we'll
see an upsurge in younger users - there's huge potential for employment in
this area, we're all learning..

> > From: 	niall[SMTP:niall at holbytla.org]
> > I'm after a completely open market, I don't want to be the only one doing
> > this kind of thing -
> > the potential is there to create our own industry and I fully intend to
> > help it along and co-operate openly among my peers :-)

Niall Young
niall at holbytla.org
http://niall.holbytla.org

        "For bass, the listener is not really listening to
        the speaker, but rather, listening to the room as
                it is being played by the speaker."