[plug] School proxy/monitoring saga

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Fri Jun 16 15:37:54 WST 2000

>Just a quick note on this subject.  The local primary school were having
>horrendous problems getting a few networking problems sorted out.  As well,
>a Wingate solution had been set up for them to access the Internet, which
>was woeful.
>
>We installed a stand-alone Linux box as the Internet gateway with Squid.
>The machine was a second hand Pentium that set the school back about $400.

<snip>

>Cheers
>Colin Rothnie

Interesting story Colin, particularly your comment about "Education
Department approved" networking consultants not being amenable to linux.

I'm having the same problem with my kids primary school - the Principal's
response  to my suggestion of having a linux gateway for their new network
was very similar - he felt bound to abide by the advice given by "Education
Department approved" networking consultants ie an expensive NT based
solution (using the main server as the firewall from memory - yuk!).

Our school (a Montessori school) is largely financed by school fees - so
it's doubly sad to see  money being wasted in this way.

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia