[plug] chown as a user?

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Jun 17 14:23:53 WST 2000

I need to be able to let a user change files owned by them, to be owned by
someone else.

eg; File X is owned by A, but A wants to pass it to B, so wants to do:
     chown B X

When I do, though, it comes back with "Operation not permitted".

How do I enable access to allow this? (Pref. for only one user to do it)

Technically, I actually need to do this in a Perl CGI using Perl's chown() fn,
but I'm assuming the limitation is the same there as for the system command.

Yes, I've tried RTFMing, but haven't found any info (and doing a websearch on
"chown" and "user" doesn't reveal anything useful).

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :