[plug] Training

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sun Jun 18 21:52:10 WST 2000

Phil wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of anyone who will teach you a bit about linux in Perth?

>> Are you after knowledge or certificates?

> just some basic knowledge

Specific things, or all kinds of knowledge?

If specific things, post your questions here. We have a quota of one new
question a day (that's a minimum quota). There is no such thing as a
stupid question (but if there was, that would have been it...); the only
truly stupid question is the un-asked one.

If you want a big chunk of general knowledge, you have several
alternatives:

1. Read. Books (http://www.obsidian.co.za/rute/ is a good one, look for
it under the Documentation/Rute menu on your Mandrake 7.1 or later
installation), mailing lists (like this one), slashdot
(http://slashdot.org/) flamewars, usenet news groups
(http://www.deja.com/usenet), the files in /usr/doc, all of the pages in
xman (type xman in a shell if it's not on a menu somewhere), all of the
files in /usr/doc. Not everything you read will sink in, at least at
first, but it's all grist for the mill and will spring to mind sometime.

2. Come to PLUG meetings (and SAGE, WAUUG, many others), listen, learn,
speak, put your foot in it, learn faster. (-:

3. Take formal courses, such as those about to be offered by Richard
Sharpe, or sometimes even TAFE courses can be useful, depending on you,
the TAFE and the instructor.

4. Write a program under Linux. Or contribute something to an existing
project, even if it's only constructive criticism.

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales