[plug] re: reinstall or rebuild

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jun 19 09:41:32 WST 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> True during the install we chose manual installation and again the gnome
> program didn't install (at least not all of it the first time).

Too late now, but you should have just manually installed the missing
RPMs to get gnome etc. An "upgrade install" is intended for installing a
newer version of red-hat, not for adding packages.

> We tried to see what was going on and the only info I could see was
> something to do with not being able to use multiple file systems (eg floppy,
> HDD and cdrom).

??? Maybe some of your config files are messed up.

> in dmesg it states the following " hdc: cdrom_read_intr: data underrun (2
> blocks) end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00(hdc), sector 64 isofs_read_super:
> bread failed, dev 16:00, iso_blknum=16, block=32"

Could be a media error? (scratch)

> We changed the cdrom from one that was on a creative lab Sb card to one that
> mounted directly on the motherboard as a master on ide 2.

That'd be the third IDE. You mean IDE1?

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--