[plug] access1 satellite and linux.

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Jun 19 19:53:35 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:
>> Will be visiting AccessOne in West Perth Monday 9:30AM, Linux box in tow.

> Any success?

Tony, the salesthing, was real interested in sticking a system in at the
UCC for maximum exposure. We will return on Friday, hopefully at 11:30
AM, to work out the technical aspects on my box with the local equipment
and some techs in Sydney (techs unavailable today, equipment Wednesday,
self in Port Hedland Wed and Thu).

The demo system worked well except that Windows was getting grotted up
because their ISP had suffered some failure which made losing the
connection risky (might not be able to redial), so showed videos etc
very jerkily. Satellite is fed from Sydney, and the improved
connectivity of that end of Oz was obvious in the download times.
Special feature of this satellite service include bundled live video
feeds (they demoed a newsfeed and continuous sports). They're aiming for
something more interactive and localised than ordinary TV.

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales