[plug] Samba Help for a Dunce Please

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Thu Jun 22 12:12:38 WST 2000

List,

I feel I should know the answer to this, so with head bowed low I ask

I have installed Samba 2.0.6. All appears fine apart from the dread IPC$
password request from a Win$low client.

I followed the doco (I thought word for word). The samba box is a domain
member, we are using encrypted passwords, the plaintext password reg
entry was *not* added to PDC, /etc/passwd was cat'd into /etc/smbpasswd
with makesmbpasswd.sh, both smbd and nmbd run ok, testparm does not
report any errors, smbclient -L sambabox -N lists everything (I do get a
password prompt if I omit the -N, but as root <enter> removes that).

This has got to be a password encryption type problem since smbclient
'\\sambabox\share' -U valid user spits the dummy with bad password pair
message.

I am going round in circles can some one please throw me a line?

Thanks in advance

Mike