[plug] Samba Help for a Dunce Please

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Thu Jun 22 14:20:14 WST 2000

>member, we are using encrypted passwords, the plaintext password reg
>entry was *not* added to PDC, /etc/passwd was cat'd into /etc/smbpasswd
>with makesmbpasswd.sh, both smbd and nmbd run ok, testparm does not
>report any errors, smbclient -L sambabox -N lists everything (I do get a
>password prompt if I omit the -N, but as root <enter> removes that).

I had a similar problem when Win98 came into the loop here.

In smb.conf, I presume you have set the following(?):

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

If you're running from Debian, and have set unix password sync = yes, also add:

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New\spassword:* %n\n *Re-enter\snew\spassword:* %n\n
*Password\schanged.* .

CU
Steve