[plug] For your amusement

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Jun 24 18:02:08 WST 2000

Irene Palmerini <irene at brilliantjobs.com> wrote:
> We are representing an exciting St. Louis firm who is need of experienced
> Java candidates.  If you are interested or know of any one please e-mail
> your resume in MS Word format to irene at brilliantjobs.com

1. Java I can do, but experienced in it I am not.

2. I live in Australia, quite some distance from St Louis.

3. I would mail the resume in HTML, which your MS Word can read.

IMPORTANT - I do not send Word documents because:

1. They are a serious security risk. The recipient can use versioning
   to "rewind" the document and find out what it looked like during the
   editing process (e.g., flippant things I crossed out, confidential
   prices or passwords I typed into it).

2. They can contain embedded nasty surprises, macro viruses and the
like.

3. They are not portable. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody owns
   a copy of Word, much less a copy of the same version that you're
   using. If I send you a Word document from a later Word than yours,
   the odds are good that you won't be able to read it. If I am running
   a Sun or Linux machine, Word does not run on it.

4. Bill is rich enough. He set out into this cold hard world with "only"
   $US 1,000,000.00 to his name and is worth about $US 90,000,000,000.00
   now (see http://photo.net/bg/ for details). I would rather support
   someone who produces reliable software, or someone who actually needs
   money, like the authors of SAIG Office.

Cheers!

--
Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales