[plug] [rrussell at deh.sa.gov.au: RE: InstallFest 2000 - What's happening?]

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Jun 26 00:29:39 WST 2000

Hey Everyone,

I thought this relevant so I'm forwarding to the PLUG list ...

----- Forwarded message from "Russell, Richard (DEH)" <rrussell at deh.sa.gov.au>

From: "Russell, Richard (DEH)" <rrussell at deh.sa.gov.au>
To: "'Jeff Waugh'" <jdub at aphid.net>, linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
Subject: RE: InstallFest 2000 - What's happening?
Date: 	Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:46:57 +0930

Note that it doesn't really matter how organised you are -- even if you
don't have a place or a time, at least decide you are going to hold one, and
tell Jeff so he can put a placeholder on the linux.org.au site. Even if it
just links to your LUG's website (like the SLUG one does), it's better than
nothing... And those who have said that they "probably will" hold one
(HUMBUG, LOGIN, PLUG, etc) -- how about jsut taking the plunge and saying
that you will and makeing a placeholder web page, and filling it in with the
details like place and time as they emerge...

As the coordinator of the Adelaide event, I would have to say that the only
way to get it happening is for someone to jump forward and say "I'll
coordinate it -- who wants to help?". It takes a largeish time commitment,
but I'd hope that a lot of that can be shared between LUGs -- talk to out
webmaster (michaeld at senet.com.au) and ask to borrow some of the Installfest
webpage code, also check out our graphic designs at
www.rebel.net.au/~tuxshirt ... I'm sure that adapting these wouldn't be
hard. Basically, as soon as you say "I'll do it" everyone else jumps out and
says "so will I" and suddenly you have a date, a venue, some sponsors, and
it's all happening much faster than you expected. And another thing to
remember -- LinuxSA is in Adelaide... and while I love this city, it's not
exactly large -- I think Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane would all be
larger... So I throw down the challenge -- can you beat the underdogs? :)

Also, Jeff -- yes, we expect to have a digital camera or six around, and
have already got a page to post photos...
(www.linuxsa.org.au/installfest/record.php3)

And as Jeff says -- if there are particular obstacles in the way of an
InstallFest local to you, please raise them on this list... you'd be
surprised by what can turn up :)

Later,

Jason Nicholls