[plug] Working out what process is listening on a port...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jun 27 13:00:30 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Peter Wright wrote:
>
> > Can someone let me know how you're supposed to work out what processes
> > are listening on a port?
>
> > tcp        0      0 *:890                   *:*                     LISTEN
>
> fuser -n tcp 980
>
> Replace tcp with udp as appropriate

I find lsof to be very handy as well. Like fuser, it looks at open files, and
returns lots of juicy info. eg; the aforementioned fuser gives the pid, but
lsof also looks up the process/app name, plus other info.

lsof -i :890

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :