SSL, banks, was Re: [plug] StarOffice

Mike from West Australia erazmus at wantree.com.au
Wed Jun 28 12:44:07 WST 2000

At 09:19 AM 28/6/2000 +0800, you wrote:

>I know that at least when I had an account with the "Advantage Credit
>Union" the first time I connected, it warned me I was only connecting at
>40bit, and when I fortified Netscape it assured me I was connecting at 128
>bit.

Bankwest used to prevent me having access because I had win 3.11 after a long
chat with them they said I could 'now' access when I explained the net
should not be OS bound etc.

Now I can run 128 strong encryption using netscap 4.08 which is US
export restricted but I got it off a swedish site... Now the bank has
said I should use version 4.75 as minimum, I can still get to my accounts
with 4.08 but some of the java doesn't work - but it does let me do
transfers.

Also have online banking with westpac - also with 4.08 as minimum,
and that appears OK,

Rgds

Mike