[plug] Banks Online

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Thu Jun 29 15:54:59 WST 2000

At 14:01 29/06/00, Christian wrote:
>  I use ATMs and I'm not at all convinced that they are
>secure but they're too convenient for me to give up now...  Still, I do
>think Internet Banking is significantly less secure than ATMs so I aim
>to hold out for as long as possible. :-)

I disagree with you on this.  I think the relative risk is lower.  At least
as far as my bank is concerned it is.  My account doesn't allow me to do
anything but check balances and transfer money into a prior approved
account (approval requires signatures and details on bank form).  So even
if someone does break in all they can do is inconvenience me.  They can't
actually steal the money.  The approved transfer account is with another
bank and hasn't been set up for IB.  Once you break into the ATM account
you can pinch $1000/day up to the limit of the account.

That notwithstanding, you're absolutely correct about the cryptography not
being the weak link.  Even the account number and password system isn't the
weakest link.  The weakest link is the people who use the service and the
people that maintain it.

skribe
	Purity:                           62.0%
	Corruption:                    38.0%
	Insanity:                        36.3636363636364%
	Weirdness factor:           31%
	Experience Level:           JonKatz Wannabe
	Medieval Career:            Black Knight