[plug] finding associated RPMs (was: Request)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Mar 3 08:34:27 WST 2000

Peter Wright wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A quick RPM question:
>
> Can anyone either
>
> (a) tell me the RPM package(s) that provide the libraries
>         libguile.so.4
>         libreadline.so.3

Probably the (lib)guile and (lib)readline packages, but that's just a
guess. My Mandrake 7.0 system, which uses libguile 6.0.0, finds it in
the package guile-1.3.4-2mdk.rpm - if the file is a softlink, search for
the file that the link points to.

> or

> (b) tell me the appropriate way to work out the above?

    rpm -q --file /usr/lib/libguile.so.4

If you don't know where libguile lives, try this:

    ls -l $(find / -name "libguile.so.4*")

...which will also tell you about symlinks and more specific names for
the library in question.

BTW, "Request" isn't a very meaningful subject. Something like "Finding
RPMs" would at least give people with knowledge of RPM something to home
in on.

--
Noah's Ark was an Open Source project (everyone was invited to help).
The Titanic was not. http://www.opensource.org/