Sources of security breaches (was: Trade)

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Mar 3 09:02:26 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:
> While there may be a numerically higher number of probes coming in off
> the internet, by far the most *actual*breaches* come through people with
> a head-start in security knowledge, to wit, those with authorised access
> to the system, or from people who know you and have stronger motivation
> for breaking in (resentment, dare, joke).
>
> Not that this is much of a head-start

This is a pretty interesting human syndrome, though. Apparently the
majority of murders and assaults (including sexual assaults) are
committed by someone known to the victim; but we're more afraid of
strangers. The majority of computer security breaches are committed by
someone known to the company; but we're more afraid of outsiders. One
unfortunate consequence of this in relation to computer security is that
it feeds into the media frenzy about what they term "hackers"; and that
in turn results in people like the DeCSS guy being victimised.

None of which means you shouldn't lock your door or secure your Internet
connection.

Colin