[plug] MYOB using Linux as a fileserver

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Thu Mar 9 09:09:39 WST 2000

> Now the disk certainly isn't full, and the lock file has been given 666
> permissions so that anyone can read & write to it.  MYOB still wasn't
happy,
> so I tried making the directory 777 !!  No change - still a single user
> system.
>
> The lock file owner is one of the MYOB users, and I've even emptied it
> (later I deleted it in case it's existance was causing trouble).

Rather than fiddling with the permissions of the actual file, have you tried
fiddling with the permissions that you tell Samba to use on the files.  Are
you using parameters like "force create mode" or "force user"?  We run a
legacy dos database off a Samba share.  Because the files were being edited
by different uses they were becoming unreadable to others, once edited by
someone else.  To get around the defaults I had to set up my share along the
lines of:

[mydatabase]
    comment = My database files
    path = /home/whatever