[plug] MYOB using Linux as a fileserver

Hook hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 8 19:58:16 WST 2000

I just know that this is going to sound daft, but it has to be asked anyway
!!

I've installed a Linux server at a clients office, in part, to hold the MYOB
data files that they use.  When the data is shared from a Win95 box, MYOB
works with no unexpected probs (i.e. license issues that the customer
understands).  However, move the files over to the Linux box to a partition
that samba offers over the network and suddenly things start to go wrong.

MYOB has a peculiar attitude to lock files - in theory there's one per
active user, when the number of lock files equals the number of licensed
users, no-one else can use the system until one disconnects.  OK so far, but
on Linux, it only creates a single lock file, but that file holds data about
who's connected, and the data changes when people disconnect.  However, the
real killer is that now MYOB will only let one person use the system at
once, and claims that either the disk is full or there's an access problem
with the lock file.

Now the disk certainly isn't full, and the lock file has been given 666
permissions so that anyone can read & write to it.  MYOB still wasn't happy,
so I tried making the directory 777 !!  No change - still a single user
system.

The lock file owner is one of the MYOB users, and I've even emptied it
(later I deleted it in case it's existance was causing trouble).

MYOB support get a bit snotty when you mention Linux ("we don't support
Linux, sorry") and can't/won't help.  So, has anyone out there in plug-land
got sufficient experience with MYOB to make *any* useful suggestions?

Hopefully,

Paul Wilson