mail ReplyTo, was Re: [plug] How does ADSL work?

Christian Payne christian at global.net.au
Fri Mar 10 17:17:14 WST 2000

Matt Kemner wrote:

> > apt-get update && apt-get install postfix
> >
> > If you have exim already installed (default Debian 2.1 MTA) then you may
> > need to remove that first.  For memory you'll also need to use one of
> > the --force parameters too, either --force-depends or
> > --force-remove-essential. eg,
> >
> > dpkg --purge --force-depends exim
>
> Yuk.
>
> I expect you'll receive a lecture from Greg about the use of --force for
> any reason.. :)
>
> Besides, this is apt. It works out dependencies for you, there is no need
> to manually remove exim first.
>
> (You can also force it by using "apt-get install !exim postfix" but there
> realy is no need)

Well, having done this on four different machines in the last couple of
months I can say for sure that apt did NOT resolve this dependency and
left exim installed so I had no choice but to use force in removing it.
:-)  This may have been a bug in the Debian package dependencies or
something else, I'm not sure -- but either way I found it was necessary
in my case.  I wasn't aware of the "!package" so that's neat to combine
the two operations into one but otherwise I don't think there is
necessarily anything wrong with my approach.  Having said that, the use
of --force is fortunately pretty rare in Debian. :-)

Regards,

Christian.