[plug] ppp statistics

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Mar 11 14:26:07 WST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Robert Andrews wrote:

>  A dumb question  but I am a Newbie

Robert, you gave an appropriate subjuect line - thats a good start!

> from a terminal how can i get the statistics for my internet connection
> i.e total time online and total bytes downlowded & uploaded

Time of connect/disconnect would be logged in /var/log/messages.
A few lines of perl code would search it and tell you the times.

To count bytes, see ipchains(8). Try "ipchains -L -v"
You will probably want to create some accounting
rules in the IP filtering of the kernel, to distinguish local traffic from
internet traffic. e.g.

	# ipchains -L -v
	Chain input (policy ACCEPT: 37272 packets, 31269612 bytes):
	Chain forward (policy ACCEPT: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
	Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 30294 packets, 16952960 bytes):

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.              -- Blaise Pascal