[plug] Disk Partitioning & Dial on Demand questions

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Mon Mar 13 11:27:51 WST 2000

Thanks Nick,

I put another 64Meg swap partition on the extra drive (exactly as you
suggested) and then the rest is now /var. It all went well. Thanks again.

Any dial up experts want to tackle the rest of the challenge?

Regards,
Chris

At 17:17 10/03/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 09:43:22AM +0800, Chris Griffin wrote:
>[...]
> > The system has two drives in it. The first is a 4GB of which I can have
> > 1Gig for the system, the rest is for user data area. With all of the
> system
> > and facilities I had to install, it left me with that partition 93% full.
> > For this reason I fitted an old 240MB drive as a secondary and would like
> > to add this into the system. This raises two questions for me.
> > First, should I just move /var onto this drive or should I move other
> areas
> > onto it as well.
>
>As people suggested, some swap could be a good idea.
>
> > Secondly, how do I move it over without having to reinstall the system?
>[...]
>
>OK, guessing wildly, your first 4GB hard disc is /dev/hda, second 240MB
>hard disc is /dev/hdc. You have something like ;
>
># /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>#
>/dev/hda1       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0
 >     1
>/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
>/dev/hda3       /space          ext2    defaults        0       2
>
>Use "cfdisk /dev/hdc" to make a (240-64)MB Linux /dev/hdc1 and a 64MB
>Linux swap /dev/hdc2.
>
>Substitute names, devices and partition numbers as appropriate. /space
>is that 3GB user data partition you mentioned.
>
>Now, after carefully checking that you're formatting the right disc...
>
>         mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdc1
>         mkswap /dev/hdc2
>
>Now - boot to single user mode. You can get away without it if the
>machine's not in use, but it means you won't lose any log file entries
>that you make in the next few minutes, etc.
>
>         mkdir /mnt/tmp
>         mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/tmp
>         (cd /var && tar c .) | (cd /mnt/tmp && cpio -im)
>         mv /var /my_old_copy_of_var
>         mkdir /var
>         chmod 755 /var
>
>That'll copy /var over, with ownership, permissions, etc. You should
>also be able to use dump and restore, or something like
>"find /var -depth | cpio -pm /mnt/tmp".
>
>Now edit your fstab to look like ;
># /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>#
>/dev/hda1       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro      0
 >     1
>/dev/hdc1       /var            ext2    defaults        0       2
>/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw,pri=0        0       0
>/dev/hdc2       none            swap    sw,pri=0        0       0
>/dev/hda3       /space          ext2    defaults        0       2
>
>Lo and behold! Two swap partitions striped together for extra speed.
>/ is mounted first and fscked in pass 1, then /var and /space are
>fscked in pass 2, in parallel.
>
>Tell us how it all goes.
>
>Nick.

> [...]

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)