[plug] Dial on Demand question

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Tue Mar 14 09:21:28 WST 2000

Chris, the standard RH6.1 has some problems with PPP and the initscripts
that cause problems with PPP connections.  You should load the revised
errata RPMs for both of these from Red Hat if you haven't already done so.

I would strongly recommend "diald" over using the PPP persist and demand
functionality because it is very configurable, has a neat "fifo" facility
where you can control the link using "echo command > /etc/diald.fifo".
Diald also allows you to filter the types of packets that can bring up the
link and keep it up (ie HTTP packets to outside do bring up the link, but
email, netbios and DNS do not).

Possible the best way to install diald is from the Redhat FTP servers
"contrib" area (although I have installed it from tar.gz several times).  I
think there is a diald basic package and something like a diald-configure
package to help with setting it up.

You should be aware that questions regarding Redhat and routing using diald
are no longer answered on the diald mailing list because they are so common.
I dare say the question is covered in detail in some web page somewhere, but
the problem and solution was summarised some months ago in a message to the
diald mailing list.  Note that this is a Redhat problem, not diald (and
possibly another reason to think seriously about debian:-).

I hope this helps.
Colin Rothnie