[plug] Postfix help! Fixed...

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Mar 14 13:59:08 WST 2000

Greg Raftery wrote:
> I figured out later on (after trying to run Pine in the non-root account)
> that there were problems with the system finding out who I was (whoami). A
> quick search at Deja and I discovered that my /etc/passwd did not have read
> permissions for non-root users.

Ahhh... that makes A LOT of sense!  Most of the Postfix components don't
run as root (and none are setuid root) so, if they couldn't read the
passwd file then they couldn't know the users existed.  Still, I'd be
wanting to know who'd taken away the correct permissions from
/etc/passwd!

> I suspect this had prevented postfix from delivering the mail locally. ?? (I
> didn't try changing it back - ain't broken...don't fix)

Obviously Postfix can't deliver email to a user that it doesn't know
exists.

Regards,

Christian.