[plug] iinet pppd problems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 15 13:38:31 WST 2000

Mark Baker wrote:

> For about the last 8 months I have been happily connecting to Wantree with
> my Unix box running pppd 2.3.8. About last weekend, I could not get in with
> pppd, although I can access my account with Windows. I tried the iinet
> number, and could access this also with Windows but not Unix. The Unix box
> can access the Big Pond ok, but when I try to access iinet, all I get is a
> lot of bad fcs errors, and it then disconnects. This makes me think that
> Wantree/iinet changed something last week.
>
> Please, any ideas on how I can get away from having to use Windows and get
> back online with my unix box.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Baker

The first, most important question; have you tried phoning iinet support? They
are fairly good, and from my experience in the past, they have no problems
dealing with Linux.

Secondly, have you checked your settings, with the settings listed on their web
site?

We have been using Linux to connect to iinet for probably about a year, now,
first with Red Hat 5.2, and then with Red Hat 6.0. We have not had any similar
problems in the last couple of weeks.

Maybe, rather than iinet having changed something, a change has occurred on your
system.

I suggest trying the two steps above, before anything else.

--

Bret Busby