[plug] iinet and email addresses

Neil Hunt grover at indigo.net.au
Fri Mar 17 17:34:29 WST 2000

I have been on this list for two days, and have already put up with your crap on the linux-aus list.  You really should learn what is appropriate to post to where.  The procmail recipe is in place.  For anyone that wants it here it is:

:0
From:^*bret@*iinet.net.au*
./dev/null
just add it to $HOME/.procmailrc and your life will be pleasant again
Neil
On Fri, Mar 17, 2000 at 05:01:00PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> After assistance from Christian, and about an hour on the phone to iinet
> support, it appears that the iinet mail settings have been changed, and any
> iinet customers on the mailing list, can drop their Reply To addresses, as the
> >From addresses are no longer set by the iinet mail servers, and default to the
> email address in the user's email application settings.
>
> Using mail.iinet.net.au as the outgoing mail server setting in a user's
> settings, apparently defaults to a particular preset outgoing mail server (the
> flavour of the day?), and using mail.m.iinet.net.au as the outgoing mail server
> setting in a user's settings, apparently sends an outgoing email through the
> outgoing mail server with the least load, which means that emails sent could go
> via different outgoing mail servers, depending on the loading on each of the
> available outgoing mail servers at the time of sending the email.
>
> It's a pity that iinet did not publish these changes, and this information, in
> their monthly email newsletters to customers.
>
> I think that, given that iinet uses qmail on its mail servers, and given the
> volume of email that passes through iinet, the previous discussions about qmail
> and sendmail, relating to qmail not being able to handle high volume, appear
> resolved, as it appears that qmail handles high email throughput (and the
> problems with email at iinet, appear to be due to their individual
> configurations, rather than due to the application). If I am wrong in this, I am
> sure that Christian, or someone equally knowledgeable, can correct me.
>
> Today's quote:
> "sendmail.cf is written in a language that you have not seen before elsewhere,
> and bears no resemblance to any language that you have seen anywhere else, or
> that you will ever see anywhere else"
> - quoted by a technical person
>
> --
>
> Bret Busby