[plug] OT: HD Data recovery

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Mar 21 16:45:08 WST 2000

[Greg Raftery]

> I put my drive from my Win95 box at home into my NT 4 box at work,
> and foolishly run disk administrator and said yes when it asked to
> add a disk signature. Now I cannot read anything from any OS (Linux,
> Win95, NT, W2K), as the partition table seems to have been blown
> away by NT. :(

If only the partition table is destroyed, you can boot from a rescue
disk and redo the partition table.  If you know how the disk was
partitioned, it should be fairly easy to do.

All you need is a Linux boot floppy with fdisk included on the floppy.

(I did this last week when I repartitioned a live filesystem changing
the first part of the extendent partition to the second part by moving
the extendent partition part forward into some spare room - it did not
work, and made the disk unbootable... :-)

Of course, if the partition itself is corrupted, this method does not
work.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere at td.org.uit.no