[plug] Multiple Xservers

dez dynamix at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 22 09:49:05 WST 2000

Some time ago i posted a query about multiple xservers ....
i.e. two xserver virtual console's running at the same time on different
terminals.
I didnt get a reply that answered the query (More questions about why I
wanted to do it !(g))
I 've  found the answer and Im posting it below for those who tried to
answer  my ramblings ..
and for those who were wondering the same thing

cheers dez: :)
the solution is................
To start a second xserver:
  startx -- :1
Your first xserver is running on the 7th virtual console
Your second xserver is running on the 8th virtual console
etc.

Long answer:
The ":1" is a display name.  Display names are generally of the form
"hostname:display.screen".  In this case, the hostname is omitted, so
it assumes local, the "1" is the display, which indicates that it's the
second Xserver on that machine, and the screen number is omitted, because
it'll start on all of the screens (ie monitors, but you probably only
have 1).

For the startx command, arguments after the "--" are server options.
(actually, all of the options are passed to xinit, for which arguments
before "--" are client options, and after "--" are server options, but
you can ignore the client options, you'll probably never need to use it)
Another common server option is -bpp, to tell it the colordepth at
which to run.

A lot of times, I run at 32 bpp (for whatever reason), but my video
card and driver only does hardware acceleration at 16 bpp, so I do
  startx -- :1 -bpp 16