[plug] Serial ports on Sparc IPC

navarre at omen.net.au navarre at omen.net.au
Tue Mar 28 17:17:57 WST 2000

Hello All

I wish to connect a serial device to an aging Sun Sparc IPC.
My question is, in the land of Debian for Sparc what is the
device name for the two serial ports.

When the system starts it identifies four serial ports of type
8530, this makes sense as there are two 8530 devices on board,
each has two ports. They are identified as tty00 to tty03 inclusive.
When I look at /dev there are no entries matching these names.
My experience with debiam for i386 would sugest that the installer
would have created the two serial devices, it seems everything
else has been created. I installed and ran Minicom for sparc
and it was looking for /dev/ttyS3 as the serial port, could this
indicate the default is not correct or the device is not created.

The /dev directory shows, and would indicate that these are the
device names to use,

crw--w--w-    1 root     tty        4,   0 Mar 24 06:35 /dev/tty0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,   1 Mar 20 09:40 /dev/tty1

but when I run as root,
sputnik: /smb/scorpio/InetPub/wwwroot/asp $ setserial /dev/tty1
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

As I presume the mouse and keyboard are using the other serial
8530 chip I do not want to simply try writing data willy-nilly
to the tty devices.

As an aside, I am seeking a scsi hdd for the same machine,
somthing in the order of 400 Meg or better. I am willing
to pay a small amount.

Regards Navarre <navarre at omen.net.au>