[plug] Using the "-X" modifier in tar

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Mar 31 13:11:02 WST 2000

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Phillip Steege wrote:

> I am still a bit confused?
> My last useage was "tar cvf /dev/rmt0 -X exclude_files.txt ."  It did not

_Please_ people, when asking why something doesnt work, copy the actual
commands and response to your question. So often we get these kinds of
questions without essential details.

  In this case, we now know that you asked tar to read ".", so all the
paths in "exclude_files.txt" must begin with "./", just as they would if
you do a "tar tf exclude_files.txt".

regards,

Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--
I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to
make it shorter.              -- Blaise Pascal