[plug] Exabyte vs DLT

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 1 17:38:31 WST 2000

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 02:54:11PM +0800, David Griffiths wrote:
> I will be backing up 10-15GB (full backup) once a week
[DLT vs Exabyte]

At work, we moved from an Exabyte 8505 to a HP DLT40 - which is definitely
a bit small for a new DLT. Yes, it's faster, but all tapes are pretty
slow. ::-) AMANDA keeps it streaming by first spooling all dump files to
hard disc, _then_ saving them onto the tape. Keeping that space free on
your backup machine also gives you a handy area to _restore_ files into.

What are the price differences you're looking at? Happily, for decent
SCSI equipment, a tape is a tape is a tape. The only things you're trading
off are capacity (15GB is fine), versus price, versus reliability (mostly
anecdotal) versus compatibility (with your old tapes, but also with other
people - it's handy if you know at least one other person with the same
drive in case of emergency...).

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal