[plug] Cannon Postscript Printer

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu May 4 11:00:44 WST 2000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 03:02:37PM +0800, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> I have a system where the entire office of windows machines
> prints to a samba box to 5 printers using lpd.
> I have this old steam powered cannon laser printer with a
> bolt on processor to allow it to print from postscript set
> up as one of the printers.
> The problem is it spits the dummy if the postscript file
> exceeds 24Mb. As this is only about 10 pages of a word
> document, this is posing a problem, as we have to print
> 100 page documents in 10 chunks of 10 pages.

I guess it all depends on how you set things up but, if the Windows
clients are configured with the right printer drives, the output from
the print job won't be PostScript at all.  I have a set up here where
Windows clients print to a Samba printer share which is just directed
straight to lpd (i.e., the output from the Windows driver is pure CaPSL,
the Canon printer language).  If I print from a Unix client though the
output is, of course, Postscript which gets run through Ghostscript and
converted into CaPSL.  I guess what I'm saying is that if you're
printing from Windows clients then all you probably need to do is
install the correct printer driver on those clients and you won't need
to print in Postscript at all which may just solve the problem.  Of
course if you have 10,000 Windows clients then this might not be
practical but in most cases it probably will be. :)

Hope this helps,

Christian.